Well, that was fun…. and much needed too. An offensive explosion never hurts a team that is struggling with hitting. If I had told you in Spring Training that Matt Kemp would be an All-Star (and maybe the heart and soul of the team), that Max Muncy would be leading the team in HR and OPS’ing over 1.000 and Ross Stripling would be the Dodgers ace, you would have signed a petition to have me formally committed. Shoot, for all I know that petition is circulating anyway! I do not agree with the theory that several Dodger players had “career years” last year. Chris Taylor and Cody Bellingers best years are ahead of them. They will both have better years…. maybe the second half… maybe next year, but I do not think either of them has had a career year… YET! Justin Turner may have had his career year… or not. It’s his age and health that gives me pause on that. I think there is a lot of room for growth and improvement on this team.
We often get impatient and want a player gone only to have that player come back and get red hot. Let’s face it: baseball is a long, long season and when the Dodgers lost Seager and Turner at the start of the season, it wiped out a lot of offense, Bellinger, Pederson, Taylor and Puig all struggled, but are now putting it all back together. This offense is starting to gel and then there is Max Muncy – “Chunky Muncy” or maybeChunky Monkey? What a find! How does FAZ get these guys?
So, here they sit: One and half games out and Arizona is bound to fade fast – notwithstanding getting Pollack back. They have been incredibly hot – it won’t continue. I hear that they are “ALL IN” on Machado and that very well might happen. The Dodgers have weathered the storm. There are still a few questions, but the team is getting healthy and there are positives, even on the pitching staff:
- Daniel Hudson is looking more-and-more like the 8th inning guy.
- Caleb Ferguson has shown he can pitch out of the pen.
- Rich Hill is looking like he did in his first year in LA… minus the blisters.
- The rest of the starting pitching is solid and while Kenley is not having a “career year,” he still has a 0.90 WHIP. I’ll take it!
- Ryu and Urias are progressing… slowly, but both should be factors in August and September.
- Fields, Cingrani and el Gasolino are due back soon enough.
- Over the last 30 games, Chris Taylor is hitting .277 with a .349 OB%…. just sayin’
- Bumsrap stuck with Joc and it’s looking like he was right. Let’s hope Joc keeps it up… even gets better!
- When will Rylan Bannon get promoted to Tulsa? He’s been playing 2B with Lux at SS. To me, Bannon at 2B makes the most sense. He’s on the small side for a 3B.
- Kendall is showing a little life, but he teases us like that….
- Dustin May went 8 outstanding innings for RC last night. I smell a promotion for him too.
Tonight, CK hopes to turn in about 7 innings. Let’s hope he is sound and builds on his recent success. Max Muncy has to be the starting second baseman. He hits LH pitching with a higher BA and OPS than he does RH pitching. I suppose Forsythe should get a spot start now and then, but why?
HELP WANTED: If anyone wants to help write about the Lakers or Rams, let me know – I own www.LAlakerTalk.com and www.LA.ramTalk.com.