The real question is “Does he want to be a Dodger?” The Dodgers will want him if he truly wants that. I am not sure what a deal looks like, but between Borasssss and Friedman, they can figure it out. While I am not a big Bryce Harper fan, I believe that Bryce Harper could go down in history as one of the All-Time Great Dodgers… if not THE All-Time Great Dodger!
But… it’s going to take lot of creativity. Borassss wants Harper to get the biggest All-Time Deal and Friedman is loathe to give out that kind of deal (and I am glad he is). There can be a compromise to give both parties what they want… probably in ways I have never imagined. Harper just has to tell Borasss to make it so.
I am not a Harper fan… but he is good… and he just might be better in LA. I am not against signing him, but it’s going to take something very unusual for that to happen. I have no clue what that might be, but it’s not my job to figure it out. Friedman and Borass can do that just fine.
Will the Dodgers be a better team with Harper? I think so. A Harper signing could precipitate trades which might net Kluber or Bauer. The players to be traded could be different from what you think.
Look at this lineup:
- Pollock CF
- Seager SS
- Turner 3B
- Harper LF
- Bellinger 1B
- Hernandez 2B
- Verdugo RF
- Martin/Barnes C
That means that Taylor, Pederson and Muncy could be traded… or not. I prefer Bauer, but AC likes Kluber, so I’ll take either one. But, all of this is conjecture because it is rumored that the Phillies have offered him over $300 million. How can he walk away from that “real money?” Maybe Friedman defers it over 25 years?
Rants & Raves
- Kershaw is not injured. Are you kidding me? Get the MRI and get the knife. Clayton can finish next year and the year after. Get the surgery. We all knew this was coming. If I am wrong, the MRI should show it, but MRI’s are not as effective on shoulders.
- Turner, Castro and Beaty all look hot. Mostly a bunch of AA and AAA and AAAA pitchers throttled the Cubs yesterday. Spring Training generally doesn’t mean much, but these guys have came out snarling!
- Since RVS became hitting coach, the Dodgers are averaging over 10 runs a game. Yeah, that is what will happen all season. 😉
- Lux is doing nothing to dispel that he is a top prospect.
- Garlick stinks… at least so far. I had to work that in.
- Russ Martin has had a level swing for a long time… since the beginning. This could be a “come to Jesus” season for him with RVS and launch angle. I am telling you: He is the Comeback Player of the Year. Yippie Kaaaayyy Ayyyyyyeee!
This is short and sweet as I am heading to Temecula from Irvine. 2Demeter, e-mail me your contact info at firstname.lastname@example.org Bobby, do the same. I can’t guarantee it, but I will try.