Are the Dodgers in on Bryce Harper? Yes, even Ray Charles can see that! A better question is “Will the Dodgers really try to sign Bryce Harper?
The answer is the same answer I give when people as “Do you wear boxers or briefs?
” I say “Depends.
” Bada Bing! But seriously… Bryce Harper has “IT” – the “IT FACTOR.” He would be an instant fit for LA.Yes, the Doders will be in on Harper, but the odds are pretty long,which is why they are still in on Realmuto as well. I am very, very high on Kaybear Ruiz, but if the Dodgers could extend JT, I would consider trading Ruiz in a deal for Realmuto. The fact is: I think Jeter and his Oraganization are a disaster and will be too self-absorbed to get a good return, just like they were with Stanton and Yelich. I think they will hold out for an unrealistic return and miss the train. Derek Jeter may have been a class act as a player, but he and his team are an unmitigated disaster for the Marlins.Yes, Andrew Friedman will try and deal for Harper, but I can’t see him going past 8 years and $240 million. That won’t sit well with Scott Borasss, but I am not sure anyone is going much over that and Harper will have the world by the… tail, if he is in Hollywood. So, there is a good chance the Dodgers will land Bryce Harper IF:
- The Price is Right (somewhere around $240 Million/8 Years… give or take); and
- They will have to move Alex Wood, Matt Kemp, Joc Pederson, Yasiel Puig and either Rich Hill or Kenta Maeda to do so.
That may sound like a big deal, and it is… but it’s like $40 to $50 million in salary dumps. I’d estimate that the Dodgers have to dump $35 million or more to do that. If they can do that, then maybe Bryce Harper will be a Dodger because HE WANTS TO BE! Bryce Harper is made for Hollywood… and Mannywood will becomeHarper’s Bazaar
. There are a lot of hoops to jump through on this, but if anyone can pull it off, Andrew Friedman can do it.The Dodgers may not get back a lot for Wood, Kemp, Joc, Puig and Hill or Maeda… mostly prospects, but if they can move their salaries, they can be players for Harper. The problem is: to move Kemp, they will have to take back a bad contract, like Homer Bailey. They able won’t be able to spend much at catcher, but with Barnes returning to form, they might not need to.
This is what the team could look like:
- Bellinger 1B
- Muncy 2B (with 3 Gold Glove caliber infielders around him, Muncy can play 2B)
- Seager SS
- Turner 3B
- Harper LF
- Taylor CF
- Verdugo RF
- Barnes C
- Toles – OF
- Hernandez – IF/OF
- Freese – LF/RF, 1B, 3B
- Smith – C – 3B
- Rios, 1B, 3B, LF
- Cingrani LHP
- Ferguson – LHP
- Alexander LHP
- Dylan Floro RHP
- Pedro Baez RHP
- Kelley RHP
- Jansen RHP
- Maeda or Hill (whoever is not traded)
- Kasowski, Chargois, Fields, Urias, Santana, Garcia, et al.
There’s one final problem: The Dodgers can’t unload all thise players and then NOT GET Bryce Harper which means that Friedman has a lot of balls in the air and there are lots of moving parts to these deals. They all almost have to happensimultaneously.
If I had to guess I would say the odds are against the Dodgers signing Bryce Harper… but stranger things have happened.
Odds and Ends
- I mentioned a few days ago that the LAdodgerTalk.com community was growing by about 30 new subscriber a week. Yesterday alone, there were 11 new signups! Thank you to all the new fans of the best Dodger Blog in existance thanks to AC and DC and the best, most-informed, civilized Dodger fans on the planet.
- Yasmani Grandal is still a possibility to return on a one-year deal… at a whole lot less than $17 million, but I think he will get a 2-year/$20 million deal… or better… elsewhere!
- The Chicago Bears have once again become The Monsters of the Midway… thanks in part to Chuckie, who gave them a player who has more sacks than the entire Raider team.
- Of course, I live in Indianapolis, so I have to brag on my home teams…
- If the 8-6 Colts make the playoffs… and they need help (Pittsburgh or Baltimore have to lose once between them), they are a team no one wants to face in the playoffs after their 23-0 beatdown of Dallas.
- My Indiana Pacers are 20-10 and will challenge Toronto as the best in the East before season’s end. What a fun TEAM (and I meanTEAM) to watch. Last season they went 0-8 without Victor Oladipo, this year when he missed 12 games, they went 8-4.
- The Pacers hired the first Female Assistant GM, Kelly Krauskoph! (Image courtesy ofGetty Images)