A lot of things just changed over the weekend. Big Time!
- The Dodgers are in sole possession of First Place… hopefully to never relinquish it!
- Matt Kemp got his mojo back.
- Kenley Jansen got his back too.
- Kike Hernandez just rises to any occasion: HR, defense, bunt!
- The Dodgers won 3 back-to-back-to back games by the same score, 3-2. When was the last time that happened? Like NEVER…. but I didn’t look it up. It just sounded good to me.
- Alex Verdugo showed me he can work a walk in a tight situation – He didn’t bite when they worked just outside the zone. We know he has excellent bat-to-ball skills, so why not lead him off? That might result in fewer solo home runs.
- Maybe Dodgers fans were expecting Manny Ramirez… but they got Manny Machado – a good OB% defensive shortstop who strikes out 25% of the time and has a little pop. Based upon what I have seen, I would offer him a 5 year/$80 million dollar deal.
From Michael J. Duarte on Twitter:
Yadier Alvarez got in an argument last night with Drillers management about his slated start on Sun. (It’s believed he did not want to pitch in a meaningless game with playoffs clinched and wanted to pitch in 1st games of playoff series with Arkansas starting on Weds).
Alvarez reportedly packed up his locker and took an UBER from Springfield, MO to Tulsa, OK. A 3-hour ride traveling over 180 miles. He’s been unreachable today (the day he was supposed to start).
The Dodgers payed Yadier Alvarez $16 million to sign. He has made his money and is fat and sassy, to say nothing of the fact that he is not a rocket scientist. I have always heard through several sources that Alvarez is lazy, moody and refuses to train hard or prepare. AC nailed it, Yadier feels entitled… after all he is the “anointed one.” He was given the big money because he is so great. He believes his press clippings, but the fact of the matter is that he averages about the same number of walks (8) as strikeouts (9) per 9 innings.
The Dodgers could suspend him, but his salary is nothing compared to his signing bonus which he already has. Oh, the Dodgers could seek to get some of it back if they suspended him, but right about now, they need to just clean up this mess and smooth it over. Next, get Derek Jeter’s people on the phone and make a deal. Stick a fork in him… he’s done as a Dodger.
FAZ tried to sign several Cubans as did Ned Colletti. I guess Yasiel Puig was a success, but most of the others, including Olivera, Alvarez, Guerrero, Arruebarrena (the jury is out on Diaz) were colossal flops. FAZ pushed the envelope in order to get an advantage, but it certainly hasn’t worked. Hopefully, they have learned that throwing big bucks to Cuban players is not the path to success. That’s not to say that there won’t be others.
- Julio Urias has thrown 10 and 2/3 innings and has accumulated 19 strikeouts, but something happened in his last outing and it looks like they just might shut him down for the season. That is probably the best thing – Don’t push it! It doesn’t sound like it’s physical… just maybe rust?
- John Axford is off crutches, but has not yet resumed throwing. I doubt we see him before the 15th.
- Chicken Strip pitched a bullpen session yesterday and if he’s fine today, he will likely come off the DL later this week.