Don’t think about that too long. It might hurt your brain. I know it did severe damage to mine… well, I’ll blame it on that anyway! Here we are – less than two weeks from OPENING DAY and we know a lot, but we don’t know what we don’t know, and that is the conundrum under which we currently operate.
What We Know We Know
- OK, I’ll get this first one out of the way – Matt Kemp has made a statement and has made the team. We know that he is the starting left fielder and will hit 5th.
- We know that Wilmer Font will not make the team and that is sad for him, but he just is not getting the job done. Someone will pick him up, but the writer for Fangraphs who suggested he could be traded with Kemp was definitely smoking some illegal substance. I know Doc Roberts is saying he still has a shot, but I don’t see it. I have been wrong before…
- We know thatJoe(look it up) played 1B for the Dodgers yesterday.
- We know that the Freak Show that isPat Vendittemay not, indeed be a Freak Show, and that he just might be a solid piece in the pen. WOW! That is really cool.
- We know thatDaniel Corcinowhose best pitch is slider and who can hit 97 MPH on the gun is looking good and could be a Darkhorse to make the team as a reliever. He is a former starter who really could excel under Honeycutt and Prior.
- We know that Mark Prior was hired to take over for Rick Honeycutt… maybe as early as next year… and by the way, this guy is really, really bright and respected… by friend and foe alike.
- We know that the D-Bags now rue the day they signed Zack Greinke!IfGreinke would have stayed with the Dodgers, he might be $50 million poorer, but have a World Series Ring… andIFchickens had lips, they might be people… or not!
- We know that Ruiz, Verdugo, Peters, Peter, Smith and Buehler will be up to The Show as early as 2019!
- We know Donovan Solano is probably better than Charlie Culberson, but also won’t make the team.
- We know that Trayce Thompson will not make the team and that Joc Pederson might not either… in fact, I will say it, he won’t!
- We know thatBrian Morancould make the team in the bullpen.
- We know that JT Cargois will make the team and could step into Brandon Morrow’s role.
- We know that Rich Hill speaks him mind. According toEric Stephen, when asked about his last outing, Hill called his performance “horseshit” and “completely unacceptable” after an otherwise strong spring.
- We know that Shohei Ohtani may start the season in the minors. He is hitting .100 and has a 27.00 ERA. YIKES! There was a time when some moron GM would have gave him $100 million!
- I know thatPhil Gurneehas a wonderful piece on the Late, Great Willie Davis. It’s a worthy read.
- Finally, we know that I will not call the Dodgers Rookie Pitcher by his real first name. A pitcher should never be called “Walker.” It sets a bad precident. Umpires may think he has a proclivity to live up to his name. Henceforth, I now anoint him STRIKERBuehler! By the way, he hit 99 on the gun yesterday!
What We Don’t Know That We Don’t Know
- We don’t know if anyone will get hurt between now and Opening Day which could change a lot.
- We don’t know if there are any trade talks… and don’t say the Dodgers could trade Font and Thompson, because they have very little value. So does Joc – he needs to spend a great deal of time at OKC rebuilding his swing and psyche. Someone might take a flyer on him…
- We don’t know a lot, but we think we do!
On a Personal Note
I am not going to be posting much for the next couple of weeks. Hopefully AC/DC will keep you informed. Next week, my oldest son and I are flying to Haiti. He is a cameraman who shoots major motion pictures and SNL, Blue Bloods and the like. I am representing the GiftofWater.orgonWorld Water Dayin Port-au-Prince.
Some of you have contributed to the Gift of Water in the past and I want to thank you for that. We are a non-profit that has no paid employees in the US. We will be in Port-au-Prince for a few days and then fly over to Cap Haitian, which our lovely President referred to as a S____hole (picture below). Those are houses where people live – they have no way of getting clean water, so they drink that water. They also have no sewers or ways to get rid of trash. We are trying to help and my son is going to shoot a fundraising video for the Gift of Water that hopefully will be narrated by his famous friend (pictured below) so as to raise awareness and funds to help fix the mess in Haiti.
I get back March 26 and then have to fly to Denver for a week. I’m not sure I will catch Opening Day.