If there ever was any doubt, Chris Taylor erased it yesterday by doing the kind of thing that legends do: Hitting a Grand Slam in the 9th inning, with your team down two runs, to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat! Of course, it was a team effort to come back from a four run deficit – Puig had two hits, but almost everyone (except Grandal) contributed.
Chris Taylor is now hitting .328/.425 OB%/.985 OPS with 7 HR, 23 RBI, 39 K and 21 Walks in 125 AB’s. Doc can’t play Joc Pederson over Chris Taylor… at least not right now. Chris Taylor is second in batting average on the team, behind Justin Turner. One could argue he has been Justin Turner and his career path is much like Justin as he has evolved into an All-Star Caliber Player. Chris is 5th in RBI and 3rd in HR on the team, despite having fewer AB’s than the team leaders.
Of course, you want to hedge your bets, but I’m not sure there is too much to hedge. With talk that Miami is about to blow their team up, maybe it is time to acquire a right-handed power hitter who can play CF in a pinch. No, it is time… time to trade forMarcell Ozuna. He’s a LF’er in my opinion be can also play CF in a pinch. The Marlins may take Joc, but they would most certainly also want Alex Verdugo and a pitcher. I would offer Trevor Oaks, but they may insist on Alvarez and I WOULD DO IT! Ozuna would change the whole Dynamic. The Joc Pederson era is over in LA.
It’s also time for A-Gon and Utley to become the team mascots and pinch hitters extraordinaire! Cody Bellinger is a better 1B and perfect as a cleanup hitter. If A-Gon accepts his role, even embraces his role, this is a championship team! I want A-Gon and Chase on the team and so do the other players. Both are accomplished at getting that big hit when they need to. This is a potent lineup:
Miami will not take any salary, so while Puig may make sense for them they will not want the cost. Besides, with Ozuna and Taylor in the outfield, Puig can be the best #8 hitter in baseball while being the best RF in baseball. That lineup has excellent L-R balance and on occasion, Bellinger can play outfield and A-Gon can play 1B – against certain RH pitchers when you want more lefties in the lineup.
It’s time for Chris Taylor to become the everyday Centerfielder and time for Cody Bellinger (who may be the best defensive 1B I have ever seen) to take over at 1B. The torch needs to be passed. To have A-Gon and Chase on the bench is a huge win for the Dodgers.
Yes, it’s bittersweet, but it’s time!
Rants and Raves
- Unless Rich Hill’s blister comes back, I am not the least worried about him. He just throws so many different curveballs for so many different angles, it takes him time to get the feel. Rich hill is not a guy who has a career 4.10 ERA (even though that’s what it is). He’s a guy who re-invented himself as a 2.00 ERA guy who is just figuring out how to prevent the blisters. Watch and see. He’s one of several Number Two’s that the Dodgers have. He’s also well liked and respected by his teammates, which makes it easier to come back from a deficit.
- AC called it with Brandon Morrow. 2 Wins and 4 IP/0 BB/6 K’s. He has been a nice pickup.
- Kenta Maeda needs to do something different today in the first inning. Figure it out!
- If Alex Wood is healthy, maybe Julio Urias comes up as the LH equivalent of Ross Stripling and then unleash him next year?
- Seven stolen bases? How did that happen?
- Kenley has 40 K’s and no BB? Hitters are looking for strikes and still can’t hit it.