I said “Two Week” not “Too Weak” Takeaways!
- Yes, I know we lost yesterday… Yawn! I have a hunch we will lose again this year.
- Yasiel Puig is starting to make me believe he is getting serious about this game. He is more focused than I have ever seen. It would have been nice to see him homer in the 9th, but this is reality. I’ll take .326/ 4 HR/11 RBI, but most importantly he has 7 strikeouts and 9 walks in 43 AB’s. He has certainly changed his approach.
- A lefty/righty duo out of the pen who can pitch 1, 2 or 3 innings, have big curveball and throw 95 MPH? That sounds like a dream. It’s not, it’s Stripling and Wood! Sounds like a law firm.
- Rich Hill is going to be on the DL for at least a month… maybe more. Then he will have to go on a minor league rehabilitation trip. It’s going to take a while. They better figure out some miracle cure… I will say this: the FAZ Bashers will be having a blast with this, but let’s see how it plays out. At this point, I would say that all he can do is rest the finger and let it heal. Maybe there is some way to speed up healing… some treatment. I am sure they are looking. All he needs to do is be healthy by season’s end.
- The Dodgers are first in the NL in team ERA (2.77). The Cubs are second at 3.14. The Dodgers are also first in WHIP at 1.04.
- We saw Kike Hernandez’ versatility Saturday – his OB% is up to .333. He is not a “fluid” player which makes some think he is not good defensively. He is better than you may think. I look for big things from him again this year.
- Check out these OB%:
- Turner – .449
- Puig – .426
- Forsythe – .408
- Grandal – .375
- Seager – .375
- Gonzalez – .347
- There there are these:
- Toles – .278
- SVS – .278
- Utley – .095
- They are 10th in BA, but 4th in runs scored. They are 4 runs from being on the top! Not bad for a team that can’t hit lefties.
- I was listening to MLB Radio Sunday Morning and they were making a case for the Dodgers trading for Ryan Braun. Here are the arguments high points:
The Dodgers partially addressed their inability to hit lefties by acquiring Forsythe and Gutierrez but could TOTALLY finish solving it by trading for Braun.
Adrian Gonzalez has been declining as a middle-of-the-order hitter and is best at number 5 or number 6. Getting Braun who would hit #3 or #4 would do just that.
The Dodgers have the depth to trade, but they aren’t interested in trading Bellinger or GET THIS: PUIG! They suggested a package of Toles, Verdugo, Stripling (I would do Stewart) and Calhoun.
The Brewers are asking a lot more than that but they did not see them getting it.
The Brewers would have to eat some salary.
I have thought about this for a while and I believe that for the next two years with Ryan Braun in LF, the Dodgers would be in prime position to win it all. If they got Milwaukee to pay himTHISyear (no increase in Payroll), then it would be easier to pay him the next three after Ethier and Crawfish are off the books. A lineup like this would be formidable:
- Forsythe 2B (R)
- Braun LF (R)
- Seager SS (L)
- Turner 3B (R)
- Puig RF (R)
- Gonzo 1B (L)
- Grandal C (L/R)
- Pederson CF (L
Rants and Raves
- There has been a Yadier Alvarez sighting – he arrived at RC on Sunday. Picture above right.
- There is little doubt in my mind that Cody Bellinger can play in the majors right now.
Minor League Report
- OKC BOX– Won 3-2 Bellinger was 2-3 with his 3rd HR. Oaks wemt 5 with 2 hits and 2 ER, 0 BB and 6 K’s. Younginer pitched 2 with 5 K’s and Rhame got the save with 2 scoreless innings.
- TULSA– DNP
- RC – DNP
- GL – DNP
- Forsythe 2B
- Seager SS
- Turner 3B
- Puig RF
- Grandal C
- Hernandez CF
- Segedin 1B
- SVS LF
- McCarthy P