OK, you all likely know what happened last night: Joc Pederson drove in the first run against Zack Greinke. Hyun-Jin Ryu had pitched 7 strong innings when Roberts pinch-hit for him with Kike Hernandez. On a 2-2 pitch from Greinke, Kike jacked the ball out of the stadium to tie the game at 2-2. Next, Dylan Floro played the role of set-up man and shut down the D-Bags in the top of the 8th inning to set the stage for Red Beard the Pirate’s home run in the bottom of the 8th. Finally, the beguiled Kenley Jansen came in and acted like… well, Kenley Jansen, to slam the door on the Snakes.
It was all about execution. But right now, I am going to give you a lesson in the “Slime Art of Second-Guessing.” It’s not a Fine Art, it’s Slime Art, and we all do it. It’s easy as fans to second guess moves Dave Roberts makes or question his lineups, but it’s really all about execution and I am not suggesting that Doc needs to be executed! It’s about executing what you need to do to advance the team.
What if Doc pinch hit for Ryu, and Kike struck out? Then, what if Floro gave up a run in 8th and JT hit his HR in the bottom of the 8th to tie game, followed by Kenley giving up a 2-run home run in the 9th to lose the game?
If that happened everyone would be lamenting “what an idiot Dave Roberts was for pinch-hitting for Ryu who was cruising”. “What a stupid move to bring in Floro and everyone knew Jansen is toast.”
Second-guessers are never wrong, which is why I try and avoid it. I have advocated firing Dave Roberts, not because of his moves, but because of lack of execution by the team and I know you can’t fire the whole team, so the Manager gets the ax. That is obviously not happening and I have every expectation that Doc will lead this team to the Post-Season.
When players execute like last night, no one says “Doc is genius.” But, when they don’t execute, so many say “He’s and idiot for that move.” Maybe he’s neither an idiot or a genius, but do you understand that second-guessing is really a “slime-art?” It’s simply about players executing!
- John Axford is throwing again and should be back this month. Hopefully, he can pitch like he did in his 2nd and 3rd Dodger appearance.
- Julio Urias came into the game for OKC in the sixth inning and walked two batters while retiring one. No word on his velocity, but that was his first relief appearance.
- Chicken Strip looks to be pain-free and will likely be activated today.
- Verdugo and Toles were not in the lineup for OKC last night, as they were likely on a plane to LA.
- Ryan Madson has the ability and experience to help the Dodgers bullpen. He can still hit 98 MPH on the gun. This could be interesting.
- David Freese is a professional hitter, hitting LH and RH pitchers about equally. He also has lots of Post-Season experience and has played at a high level when there. He will be on the playoff roster.
- Kike Hernandez likes the bright lights!
- Will Chase Utley be on the playoff roster? Will Matt Kemp?
- Here we go: September will determine it!