Some people will say “Wow. The Dodgers have only won one of their last two games and they are six games under .500. OMG! The sky is falling. The world is ending. The Dodgers suck!”
I say: “The Dodgers have won five out of their last six games and are now only 4.5 games behind the first place Rockies.” I can’t tell you how to feel. I just know that a couple of weeks ago, the Dodgers were 9 games out behind the D-Bags and now the D-Bags have hit the skids and the Dodgers are playing better.
Five out of six games – four and half out of first. Nice progress… unless you like wallowing in the negative, If that’s the case, pick a new team, because these guys are winning the NL West. Book it!
That said, there are a few changes that I think need to be make. I think there are still wrong players are certain positions, Max Muncy has proven he has a nice bat, but he’s no Cody Bellinger at 1B… maybe nobody is. Cody is one of the elite defensive 1B in baseball. Period! Cody is the second best centerfielder on the Dodgers, behind Chris Taylor, who happens to be a very good shortstop too.
I just think it’s a mistake to play one of the best 1B in baseball and one of the best CF in baseball at other positions. I think CT3 should go back to CF and Cody should go back to 1B. That means Muncy goes to the bench and someone else has to play SS. Kike has already shown he can handle the position. Maybe not as good as CT3, but why weaken two other spot at the expense of another position? It doesn’t compute for me.
Donovan Solano is hitting .370 at OKC and has lots of experience at SS. From 2012 to 2016 he amassed over 1,000 major league at-bats… a few as a shortstop. He has a .256 career BA in the majors and could be a late-bloomer. He can be a backup at SS, but I believe the Dodgers are much better defensive team with Taylor in CF and Bellinger at 1B. Moving them weakens the team in my opinion.
- The Dodgers bullpen ERA is dropping – they are up to 19th. Believe it or not, the starters are up to 6th in MLB and Kershaw will be back in the next couple of weeks. To me, Ryu looks ahead of schedule – he was jumping and moving very well, in addition to throwing freely off of flat ground.
- Grandal (down to .255) needs to hit at #5 or #6, Matt Kemp needs to hit 3rd (.331). I would love to see Puig (who is heating up) hit higher in the lineup, but I am not sure his psyche can handle that.
- I’d like to see the Dodgers get a SS who can leadoff (Andrus?).
- Brock Stewart would flourish in the bullpen. His fastball is 2-3 MPH faster as a reliever. Just do it!
- Chase Utley suddenly looks old and feeble. Just my opinion.
- OK, the Dodgers need to win this series and cut the lead to 3.5 today.