An experiment is a procedure carried out to support, refute, or validate a hypothesis. Experiments provide insight into cause-and-effect by demonstrating what outcome occurs when a particular factor is manipulated. Make no mistake, the Dodgers are going to carry out the Matt Kemp Experiment… and it is truly an “EXPERIMENT.” We did a few experiments in high school chemistry class, some of which caused violent explosions, but some were pretty cool.
I still hear and read that the Dodgers are trying to trade Matt Kemp. Recently, another blog had a piece called: “Getting a Team to Buy Into Kemp Remains the Best Scenario.” People who say that just don’t get the concept or understand the forces at work. Matt Kemp was traded by the Dodgers for financial and clubhouse reasons. Matt was not the best teammate at that time (I am being very kind) and when he went to SD and ATL he often moped, got fat… maybe he was depressed! But, he still was not a good player. Deep in his heart-of-hearts, Matt Kemp was a Dodger and part of his heart was left in LA, whether he would admit that or not.
Every GM in baseball knows and understands this: If they trade for Matt Kemp, they may very well get the fat, depressed version, not the one you are seeing today. Matt Kemp showed up to Spring Training 40 pounds lighter and a week early (as did almost the entire team – these guys are on a mission) with a cheery attitude. I believe he understands that this is his last best chance.
The Dodgers understand that they owe him $43 million dollars and NO TEAM is going to trade for him. NO TEAM! If you believe some GM will trade for Matt Kemp in light of what has happened and what is happening, then you surely also believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny! Matt Kemp will either make it big with the Dodgers or he will be released… and then some GM will take the risk… but not now. I doubt that any team will take on just $5 million of the $43 million he is owed.
Andrew Toles and Alex Verdugo are playing very well and they deserve a shot – they will get it, but not today. There is no platoon in LF. If Matt Kemp is healthy, he is the starting left fielder! PERIOD! Matt Kemp was once a superstar and he can be one again. Look, I have never been a Kemp fan, but I am a Dodger fan and Matt Kemp has the ability to still put up MVP-TYPE numbers in LF. He can, but will he? We are going to find out.
The Dodgers will not be able to trade Matt Kemp unless there is Christmas at Easter! He will either play or get released, so first they are going to let him get through Spring Training and then, they are going to let him play. It could be very, very good… or it could be bad, but this experiment is happening! Matt Kemp is a Dodger and is in the running for the NL MVP!
Maybe the wheels will fall off, and the laboratory will blow sky high, but the Matt Kemp Experiment is happening… like it or not. I have no idea how well Matt will do, but the Dodgers HAVE to find out. He could be a game changer. Barry Bonds won an MVP at age 40. Willie Stargell won an MVP at age 39. Mike Schmidt won one at age 37. Matt Kemp is 33 -it’s not that big of a stretch. What IF he is the NL MVP? Wouldn’t that be a hoot… and change everything? The experiment has to happen! It’s Risk vs. Reward. Right now, there is no risk… just reward, or cut him. It’s that simple. You need to understand that is reality!
Great article about Kemp HERE. Watch the Kemp interview with Kevin Millar.
Rants and Raves
- How do you keep Chase Utley over Jake Peter?
- This is a free preview of the 2020 LA Dodgers – Peters, Verdugo, Toles, Estevez, Smith, Diaz, Ruiz, Farmer – WOW!
- Buehler, Hill, Ryu, Cingrani and Jansen are all being slow-walked so that they can be fresh at the end. It’s by design.
- Too bad for Tom Kohler. I read on another blog that “FAZ was stupid for signing him.” What is stupid is signing a pitcher for $100 or $200 million – but $2 million? What are you thinking? Oh, yeah – you are not! Man, I don’t understand some people…
- Yimi Garcia, Tony Cingrani, Scott Alexander, JT Chargois, Pedro Baez, Ross Stripling, Brock Stewart, Adam Liberatore, Corey Copping, Wilmer Font, Justin DeFractus, Dylan Baker, Henry Owens and Pat Venditte are all in the mix for a couple of spots to be decided. Who knew about Brandon Morrow last season at this time (except AC)?
- Toles and Verdugo will likely go to OKC, but they will be back.
- How long before Keibert Ruiz takes over behind the dish? The clock is ticking!