It’s nice, but it means nothing… well… I guess it means something, but, not a lot! It’s ONE Spring Training Game. The first one. That said, what a great game! Baseball is back. One game means nothing… but if it did, a lot of cool things happened and you might draw the following conclusions:
- Wilmer Font should be in the Dodger’s bullpen;
- Logan Forsythe will have a career year;
- Matt Kemp (The Bison) is back and looks to be in amazing shape and on pace to be the NL MVP;
- Justin Turner is healthy and primed for another stellar season and he really uses his head to get out of a rundown;
- Yasmani Grandal will never get a hit all season;
- Trayce Thompson will be the 4th outfielder but he can’t catch a cold;
- Kike Hernandez will be the Sixth Man of the Year (Whoops, wrong sport);
- Edwin Parades will be a lockdown reliever; and
- Pat Venditte will be the lefty and righty set-up man.
Of course, some of that could be true, but it’s mostly fiction. Some players had a nice Spring Training Opening Day and other were Meeeeeehhhhhhh! Matt Kemp is writing his comeback story and it started out a classic! He looks like the old Bison! Can he really pull it off?So far, I can’t see why not…
Calm down… it’s early!
- Campy reported that Andrew Toles looked to be favoring his leg.
- Tim Locastro is very fast – Cody Bellinger would get smoked by him (sorry, Cody).
- Austin Barnes has an elbow issue that may be more serious than the team lets on (stay tuned).
- J.T. Chargois is another righty claimed by the Dodgers (from the Twins). Before you mock this signing as another Dollar Store Purchase, understand that JT has a couple of things you can’t teach: (1) A “hybrid” breaking ball (like a slurve) with a lot of depth; and (2) he can hit 102 MPH on the gun. He’s strictly a reliever and maybe a high-leverage one. Watch him!
- The Giants play the Dodgers at 5 PM PDT or 8 PM EDT tonight. Be there! Wave to us Campy!