Just because other teams make dope-fiend moves, doesn’t mean the Dodger have to. Look, they have been paying the luxury tax for too long and have paid about $300 million in penalties. It started with foolish, long-term deals to Kemp and Ethier and then came THE TRADE (Beckett, Gonzalez and Crawdad). The Dodgers owe Kemp $5.5 million over the next two year, but after next season, most of the obligations are done.
The thing is: the Dodgers can get under the $197 Million Luxury Tax threshold if they get rid of Gonzalez, McCarthy, Forsythe, Ryu, Kazmir and Grandal. That may seem impossible… but maybe not. Oh, it will cost the Dodgers prospects and players, but it might save them $40+ million and reset the Luxury Tax, which would allow them to sign a free agent like Harper (or not). Joc Pederson and some prospects, maybe even Verdugo would be involved, but it might (could) be done.
If the Dodgers were able to move all those contacts, they would not get much value back… just salary relief. Maybe this is THAT YEAR! Maybe the Dodgers make no trades to add to the team. They just trade to get salary relief. “But they can afford it.” No, they can’t and it’s just plain stupid to continue. The Dodgers have to retire debt or they will be in trouble with MLB soon enough.
It’s fun to dream of Ohtani, Stanton, Machado and others but maybe it is time to RESET! Trading the above-mentioned players would save over $65 million, so the Dodgers could cover some of the salaries. FAZ does not want to “block” the youngsters, so this is the opportunity to allow just that.
They might do that and still win it all. Let me remind you that conventional wisdom is often wrong. I, for one, am down with doing that. If it happens, here is what we might see:
- 1B – Bellinger
- 2B – Hernandez
- SS – Seager
- 3B – Turner
- LF – Toles
- CF – Taylor
- RF – Puig
- C – Barnes
- Sub – Will Smith
- Sub – Culberson
- Sub -Locastro
- Sub – Thompson
- Sub – Segedin
- SP – Kershaw
- SP – Hill
- SP – Wood
- SP – Maeda
- SP- Oaks
- RP – Stripling
- RP – Stewart
- RP – Avilan
- RP – Cingrani
- RP – Baez
- RP – Buehler
- RP – Jansen
Let the youngsters grow into whatever they will be. I’m OK with that. Let’s get it over with.
Just say no to Dumb-ass Long-Term Deals.
Even with that, the Dodgers will win the NL West and who knows how well the kids will do? Bring ’em on!
- Ken Gurnick of Dodgers.com writes about Joc’s conditioning. I said several times last year that he looked like the Pilsbury Dough Boy. Evidently, I wasn’t the only one. The Dodgers told him to shape up!
- Gurnick also writes that the Dodgers would like to shed payroll in the form of McCarthy, Gonzo and Kazmir. Yeah and I’d like to be 30 years younger! I don’t see either of tose things happening!
- We have been busy talking about other things, that we forgot to mention that Juan Castro and Josh Bard have left the team. Eric Stephen has the scoop.
- If the Dodgers want to try a Rule 5 pitcher, Dustin Nosler has some ideas. Honestly, it’s a great idea: Low Risk, High Reward!
- Boy, are things quiet on the Dodger Front!@!@!!