Yesterday, I discussed the Dodger hitters in the Arizona Fall League and of course Will Smith was the star of the team. Now, we focus on the Dodger pitchers, none of whom are really top prospects, but there are a couple are worth talking about. Of the Dodger hitting prospects, Will Smith was ranked #8, Yusniel Diaz was #5 and Matt Beaty was #30. Of the pitchers, none of them are ranked in the Dodgers Top 30 Prospects.
AFL Dodger Pitchers
Issac Anderson – Issac is a 6′ 2″ RHP who is 24 years old. He put up a 8.74 ERA this year at Tulsa. He was better in the AFL, but not good. He gave up 9 hits in 12 innings, had a 2.19 ERA but posted a 1.54 WHIP. I can’t see much here. He could turn it around, but the “eye test” ain’t good.
Andrew Sopko – Another RHP, the 6′ 2″ 205 pound, 23 year-old Sopko put up a 4.13 ERA in Tulsa this year and followed that up with a 2.37 ERA and a 1.32 WHIP in the AFL. Not horrible, but nothing to turn your head. He was ranked #27 on the prospect list before the season. He regressed a little this year and will likely go back to AA. He has back of the rotation potential… at best and could be converted to a reliever where he may find a couple more MPH on his fastball and use his slider as his out pitch. His curve and change are milquetoast.
Shea Spitzbarth – This RHP just turned 23 and turned heads at High A and AA last season. He pitched pretty well in the AFL but his 1.18 WHIP speaks volumes over his 4.91 ERA. He has a future in the LA Bullpen and is a guy who come right at you with his mid-90’s fastball, plus three other pitches that he commands. He needs to settle on 2 or 3 and I can see his velocity ticking up. He’s a guy who is built mentally for the pressures of the pen… he loves it! Watch this guy!
Michael Boyle – The lone LHP, the 23 year-old Boyle was up and down in the Cal League this year and only one bad outing drove his ERA up to 3.46, but his WHIP was 1.00. He also has a future in LA. I just need to see him progress more this year.
I’m sure AC will weigh in on these guys too….
- Julio Urias is allegedly making amazing progress and may be ready as early as May or June. So, there’s that!
- Allegedly the Cubs are talking to Brandon Morrow about closing. Well, it looks like he’s gone…
- John Sickels of Minor League Ball lists his TOP 20 Dodger prospects. Here’s the Top 5 and he lists Buehler, Verdugo, Oaks and Rios are MLB ready in 2018:
- Walker Buehler, RHP, Grade A-
- Alex Verdugo, OF, Grade B+/B
- Keibert Ruiz, C, Grade B+/B
- Yadier Alvarez, RHP, Grade B/B+
- Mitchell White, RHP, Grade B/B+