There’s a TV show called 60 Minutes, so that name was already taken and I don’t have much time… so this is called 6 Minutes. I’ll give you six minutes today and you can have something to chew on:
- The FBI, ATF, DEA, CIA, NAACP and AARP needs to start a complete investigation into how on earth did Jason Heyward ever beat Yasiel Puig out for a Gold Glove in RF? Even Ray Charles can see that is a travesty! I guess it is just a popularity contest!
- It occured to me that the next big thing in baseball may be teams training pitchers to pitch through the lineup ONE TIME. I could see the Dodgers having three or four pitchers next season who can pitch one, two or three innings by design. The Dodgers have some candidates: Stewart, Stripling, Cingrani, Wood (I am not convinced he will be a starter… and I could be wrong) and Maeda. Super relievers I will call them!
- Next year’s rotation: Kershaw, Hill, Wood, Ryu and Buehler. Maybe?
- As much as I would like to have Giancarlo Stanton, I think FAZ knows that big, long term deals are crippling and unnecessary. After further review, they will not get Stanton, Martinez or Harper or Machado next year. It’s all an overpay where the team that signed them ends up with 2 or 3 bad years at the end (Ethier, Crawdad and Gonzalez are prime examples). FAZ will likely stick to the plan and grow from within (Bellinger, Seager) and unexpected sources (Taylor, Toles, Morrow). OTOH, maybe you can afford one bad contract… just not three!
- JD Martinez is going to get at least $125 million. Hell no! The first two or three years will be great, but then…. So, the Dodgers ride with what they have and there are questions:
- Can Gonzo recover and even put up decent numbers as a platoon player? Cody would go to LF for a year. But maybe A-Gon is done. Well, the Dodgers have 22 million reasons to see if he can play in 2018. If he could put up good numbers at #6 or #7, that would be awesome.
- Toles, Verdugo and Pederson – Two might make the squad… not three.
- It’s obvious that Yasmani Grandal could be traded. Here’s a thought: Trade Yasmani Grandal, Pedro Baez and Brandon McCarthy to the Orioles for Brad Brach and D.L. Hall. This could be a fit for both teams and the Dodgers dump some payroll.
- Clayton Kershaw HAS to re-invent himself next year like Roy Halliday (R.I.P.) did a couple of times… except that Kershaw doesn’t have to change too much. Changes ups and different pitching patterns. If he keeps up his current pattern, it’s a downhill spiral. If he changes, he may be better than ever!
OK, it was 6:37 and I am out!