Let me start this off by saying that I believe Chris Taylor is a better Centerfielder than Joc Pederson RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW! Joc is much slower than Chris and maybe he runs better routes, but he is in no way an “elite” CF. Chris has had little outfield experience but has become a very good LF and lets’ not forget the first catch he ever made in CF. Joc seems to be always fighting a “slump.” As fans, we are always hoping he gets better. But, I think he is who we thought he was, and we should let him get away!
Look, this is a very good team, but any team can get better. If Joc had 40 HR and a .220 batting average, I could dig it, but he has just 11 HR, is a poor baserunner and looses concentration frequently in the field and to top it all off, he is not smart or savvy! Send him to OKC like SVS and move on. Chris Taylor needs to be the everyday CF. Send Joc to OKC and call up Henry Ramos.
I don’t know how he will do, but the Dodgers may have another Chris Taylor on their hands with Henry Ramos… but I think Ramos is worth a shot. He is a 25 year-old switch hitter who, in 121 AB’s, is hitting .406 with a .460 PB% and 1.104 OPS. The dude is knocking on the door (actually he is kicking the door in) and Joc is not showing anything. Doc is loyal to his guys, but the time has come to move on. Send Joc back to OKC and let him work on his swing, just like Chris Taylor, Yasiel Puig and Henry Ramos.
Maybe Joc can do what Yasiel did when he was demoted last year. I hope so… but I am not holding my breath. We don’t need two all-or-nothing players in the lineup everyday (Joc and Yasmani) and Joc is the odd-man-out because of Grandal’s defensive value. I thought this would be a breakout year for Grandal. His BA is better but his power numbers are down and his OB% has declined. Still, there is a lot of time left.
Rants and Raves
- Yadier Alvarez’ line last night: 5 IP/2 H/3 ER/6 BB/3 K – his AA ERA is 3.57. He might need better control….. ‘ya think?
- Is anyone still looking for regression in Chris Taylor?
- The Natural just keeps taking what they give him.
- If the ump refused to move last night for Utley, them he is dead wrong and should be suspended. That’s just dumb!
- After Ryu struggled through 5 last night, the pen held fast. Watson is good as a middle guy, not a high leverage guy.
- Chris Freakin’ Hatcher? Hopefully knows something we don’t!
- Great story about Dennis Santana