In the stock market, sometimes stocks become wildly inflated and after days or weeks of gains, the market has a few days where it drops, which is called a “market correction.” To me, the fact that the Dodgers have now lost two straight to the Atlanta Braves is just and example of a rather obvious market correction or as someone once said “You can’t win them all.”
So, don’t start leaping off any buildings, just yet! It’s the first time we have seen Alex Wood get shelled this year. His ERA ballooned to 2.17 (OMG) as he have up 9 hits in 4.2 innings and allowed 9 Runs (7 earned), 4 walks and 2 HR. Yasmani Grandal and Kike Hernandez had 4 of the Dodgers 7 hits and Grant Dayton looked like a LH Sergio Romo. “You can’t win them all!” In fact, sometimes a team just looks like crap. Move on – there’s nothing to see here folks.
It’s up to Rich Hill to right the ship tonight. The Dodgers don’t want to acknowledge it, but they are running with a 6-man rotation right about now with Ryu due back Monday. The best thing that could happen is for Ryu to start and throw 7 shutout innings. Teams, like the Yankees might line up for a shot at him.
Allegedly, the Dodgers don’t want to trade Alvarez, Buehler or Verdugo. If I could get Britton and Brach, I would trade Alvarez and Calhoun. I do think the DH is coming to the NL soon and Calhoun is perfect for that role. I think this guy is a special hitter, if he can keep his weight in check and move those “tree-trunk legs” a little faster. How well he does is directly proportionate to how much of a “gym rat” he is. I see him as a hitter who can hit .300 with 30 HR and 45 doubles. He just can’t play the field… much. He makes contact and doesn’t strike out much. He is truly a special hitter and, if traded should command a big return… like Britton and Brach.
- Jacob Rudner of ThinkBlueLA has a nice piece on Ibandel Isabel who currently leads High A Hitters with 20 Home Runs.
- Dodger scouts are allegedly scouting Yu Darvish.
- Baltimore scouts are allegedly scouting Dodger prospects.
- The Dodgers continue to be linked to Justin Verlander and Justin Wilson.
- What I do know is that Andrew Friedman will not make any dope-fiend moves.
- It is looking more and more like the Pirates and Royals will not be sellers, so McCutchen and Rivero are not likely.
- A-Gon is due back in August according to the team. My guess is that it is Mid-August.
- Andre Ethier is said to be coming back when the rosters expand in September. If healthy, I could see him on the playoff roster.
- Andre Toles is progressing from his surgery and is expected back at the start of Spring Training.
- Scott Kazmir has went to see a Body Mechanic Specialist which means he is out for the year.
- Brandon McCarthy has a blister and it was revealed that he has been battling blisters all year. Lots of HR and lots of blisters this year with various pitchers. Is the ball different?
P.S. I am having some issues with the site today. If comments are held in moderation, be patient. We are working to fix it.