I spent all day Wednesday at IRCE in Chicago today. I left at 4 AM and got back at 8 PM while walking about 6 miles. It was fun and always informative, but I really enjoyed the opening speaker, Barabara Corocran… she is riveting. She once sued Donald Trump for $6 million and won!
It was a long day, but I watched most of the game on MLB.TV in my truck on the way back. What a game! The Nats are on a hot streak and the Dodgers bats are as cold as ice, but they sucked it up and won behind Clayton today.
- On taking Clayton out after he batted in the bottom of the 7th: It was an afternoon game. It was hot. Clayton threw 95 pitches and was not extremely sharp (he had 3 walks). Doc had a conversation with him after the AB and took him out. No one has a clue what was said, so how in the hell can you second guess taking him out? Life is not lived in a vacuum, but maybe Clayton said “Yeah, maybe Pedro should come in.” Now, I don’t think he would say that, but no one knows all the factors. If Baez had blown the game, second-guessers would have had a field day. For the most part, I find it an exercise in futility to second guess… By the way, here’s what Clayton said: “I didn’t have much today in the tank…” So, there is that!
- Pedro Baez has stepped up his game: Young players should show growth, year-over-year. That is exactly what has happened with Pedro Baez. He has improved his slider and changeup, speeded up his delivery and is now the Dodger’s 8th inning guy!
- Joc Pederson has not shown growth (IMHO): He is the same guy he has always been and MLB pitchers know lots of ways to get him out.
- Franklin Gutierrez is a lot sicker than we know: Ankylosing spondylitis is a degenerative disease that seems to be progressing in Gutierrez. It’s likely he will be put back on the DL. Ankylosing spondylitis is a type of arthritis affecting the spine, which causes persistent pain and stiffness in the back, buttocks and hips. People with this condition also experience bony fusion, which results from the abnormal merging of bones due to bone overgrowth. Moreover, they suffer painful ligaments and tendons, fatigue, fever and eye inflammation. He may be done. Too bad – he could have been a huge factor. To me that necessitates a trade for Ozuna.
- The Dodgers are trying to trade Kenta Maeda and Joc Pederson: I can’t tell you how I know, but I have it on very good authority that both are being aggressively shopped. Maeda is going to the pen, but I cannot see him being successful there. The Yankees are a possibility for Pederson and Maeda. I have heard that the Yanks might also be interested in Forsythe. I have no clue what the trade could be…
- Wood is back in the rotation: Alex will allegedly start Saturday. The rotation looks solid with SIX, count ’em 6: Kershaw, Hill, McCarthy, Wood, Ryu and Urias… oh wait, Urias is at AAA.