As bad as the score was, Ryu was not bombed. He gave up no HR’s – it was really the walks and wildness that did him in. The Dodgers had the same number of extra-base hits as the Rockies. Yes, he was out 10 days and yes, it was Coors Field. Let’s not forget that he had not pitched for two years, so FAZ is trying to manage his innings so that he is available in September and October. That’s the big picture. He wants to pitch every 5 days. So does Brandon McCarthy – so much so that they are not going to tell you when they might be hurt.
Now we find out that Kenta Maeda has been battling hamstring tightness for a few weeks. 8.1 innings may have fatigued his leg to the point of where extra rest is necessary. I don’t know and you don’t know, but the medical staff knows and you can best believe it is totally documented in their medical file. Again, when we criticize FAZ for their use of the DL, we are talking out of our ass! We just don’t know. What we do know is this:
- Brandon McCarthy is being built up gradually after his TJ Surgery;
- Ryu is also being built up slowly after missing two years;
- Scott Kazmir is out for the foreseeable future;
- Julio Urias is having his innings limited to 180 or less, so he started late;
- Rich Hill is trying to buildup a callous on his finger to prevent blistering;
- Alex Wood has not pitched deep into games for a few years; and
- Kenta Maeda has some arms questions (not sure what they are) that causes him to have his innings watched.
We know all of that has to be managed, so when Ryu loses and gives up 10 runs let’s lose our minds even though after the pitching debacle, the Dodgers are still the #1 Team in Baseball in Team ERA (by a good margin). When you give up 10 runs this early in the year and still are #1, that says something! But let’s forget about the Big Picture and nitpick the Little Picture? After being down 10-0 the Dodgers came back to score 7 unanswered runs. They will be fine as long as we don’t all lose our minds. I believe Orel said that outside of Aprils, the Rockies have had only 2 other winnings months in the past 8 years.
Rants & Raves
- Whoever thought Chase Utley was finished is a dumbass! Me included. Will we ever learn that the professionals know more than us? Probably not!
- When was the last time the dodgers had two (count ’em 2) catchers hitting over .270? It’s been a while… Ellis, Butera, nevermind…
- Maybe Chris Hatcher should pitch in Colorado… BTW, his ERA is 3.00.
- Willie Calhoun went 3-5 with his 5th HR and Alex Verdugo was 0-0 with 4 walks. Maybe he should leadoff?
- Josh Sborz went 5 shutout innings for Tulsa and Kyle Farmer was 4-5 as Garlick hit his 9th HR.
- Ferguson went 6 at RC, giving up 2 earned runs.
- Gavin Lux went 4-5 at GL and raised his BA to a tepid .200
- I see Jharel Cotton has been sent back to AAA.
- I also see that Jose Peraza is at .235 and all of his hitting metrics shout loudly about his lack of punch… but he only has 1 error!